1. I’m not sure if I’m ready to do an intake. Can I first check it out first?Yes, we are a drop-in centre. Feel free to drop by during our operating hours.
2. When I share my story with a counsellor, where does my information go?The information you share is confidential. We will not share it with anyone unless we have a legal duty to report, or have your consent to do so.
3. Can I bring someone with me to the centre?Yes, you can bring a support person.
4. Do you check my immigration status to provide supports and services?No, we do not. We welcome everyone no matter what your immigration status is.
5. Do I need a health card to see the nurse and or doctor?No, you do not need a health card to see the on-site nurse. However, to see the doctor, you will need your health card.
6. Where do I go if I need help on a Friday, or on the weekend?On Fridays, we operate by appointment only. Unfortunately, we are not open on the weekend and on statutory holidays.
7. Do you help with transportation?Yes, at each visit, Jessie’s provides participants with 2 TTC Tokens.
8. Can you help/support me if I decide not to parent?Yes, a counsellor will meet with you to discuss your options and support you throughout.
9. Can you help me regain custody and or access of my child(ren)?We do not provide legal services. However, we can provide advocacy and support to help you regain custody and or access, and can provide accompaniments to meetings and visits.
10. I’m a teen parent who needs a place to live, or I know a teen parent who does. Is there room to stay at Jessie’s?We are not a residential centre. However, our housing program can provide support, advocacy, and referrals to help you get safe housing.
11. How can I move into Jessie’s Homes?When vacancies do arise at Jessie’s Homes, priority is given to active participants at the Centre during that time.
12. How fast can you get me housed?It depends. Everyone’s situation is unique. The housing program can provide you with a list of options that are tailored to your needs and support you through the process.
13. Can I get support for housing options outside of Toronto?Absolutely.
14. Can Jessie’s help me financially?One-time scholarships are available once a year for participants pursuing post-secondary education. Although we do not provide additional financial support, we can advocate and connect you to different resources that can offer financial support.
15. Does Jessie’s have a day care?We do not have a day care. However, the Parent-Child Centre offers child care for participants who are accessing programs and supports at the Centre, and parent relief based on participants’ needs.
16. How do I get into the school program?We have 12 spaces available in the School Program. The first step is to connect with a counsellor. This gives the counsellor an opportunity to tell you more about the program, and gives you the opportunity to ask questions to see if this school setting would work for you and your educational goals.
17. What happens when I turn 21?At 21, you will become a Jessie’s Graduate. During this time, a counsellor will work with you to ensure that you are connected to agencies, resources, and supports that you need so that you and your family can continue to thrive.
Do you have a question that isn’t listed here? Give us a call 416-365-1888. We are always happy to help!